Suominen Nonwovens Seeks Quality Manager
Are you excited by the idea of working for a world leader in nonwovens manufacturing where you will deal with demanding quality management activities – impacting an organization’s quality strategy – and provide senior leadership?
Do you have Bachelor’s degree (preferably in chemical engineering, paper/pulp or textile engineering, or equivalent combination of education and experience with at least 8 – 10+ years of previous technical service, process control, quality engineering, product development or other related technical experience?
Do you have working knowledge of s-Plus / continuous improvement methodologies and PC software and experience with spreadsheet, word-processing and statistical analysis programs?
If “yes,” then read on . . . my client, Suominen Nonwovens (Windsor Locks, CT) is looking to hire a Quality Manager who will: plan, direct and execute state-of-the-art Quality and Continuous Improvement techniques, methodologies and systems to support the wipes markets served by the Windsor Locks operation. In this position, you will work pro-actively to reduce process and product property variation and ensure internal and external specifications are met; and work continuously to improve the quality, functionality and cost effectiveness of existing products.
· Develop, implement and evaluate quality policies, procedures, and projects and develop resources to assist the operations and manufacturing function to be able to reach quality standards.
· Oversee/manage processes related to production quality and ISO implementation to the local level – ensuring that products meet customers’ quality standards.
· Define the appropriate and adequate procedures and measures of control for production processes and conduct risk assessments of these processes.
· Lead implementation of new regulations and support and facilitate audits and regulatory inspections.
· Lead, control and develop work of lab analysts.
· Coordinate quality training for employees to ensure all individuals have the required level of knowledge.
· Handle customer complaint investigations and problem resolution activities. Through continuous improvement efforts and effective corrective and the preventative actions, strive to reduce customer complaints and claims.
· Support, and sometimes lead, product commercialization projects of new product opportunities or modifications to existing products. Demonstrated expertise in a variety of the field’s concepts, practices and procedures.
· Rely on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Perform a variety of complicated tasks. Independently resolve technically complex problems. May provide consultation on complex projects and as the top-level contributor/specialist.
· Supervises the activities of Suominen’s Quality Department staff.
· As the Suominen WL operations and overall success depends heavily on Ahlstrom under a shared services agreement, coordinate quality-related activities with follow-up to ensure all services are being completed and represent Suominen’s quality interests within the site operations.
· As the site Quality representative, build working relationship with customers and continuously work to improve customer satisfaction.
· Maintain the Quality Management System, resolve complaint issues and support continuous improvement.
· Investigate and resolve customer complaints and determine credit due.
· Conduct investigations and determine disposition of returned goods.
· Report significant technical issues involving product concerns with customers.
· Develop and issue specifications, both internally and externally, that are compatible with process capabilities and customer fitness-for-use requirements.
· Provide and revise all documentation for the Quality Management systems via the ENSUR document control system.
· Ensure compliance with department and all procedures including state, federal and international regulations and applicable standards including QAKE and ISO.
· Participate on “s-Plus” teams to assist in addressing improvement opportunities.
· Develop, implement and track business strategic plan and department objectives.
· Oversee and improve, as needed, product quality and the processes used to manufacture and convert products.
· Assist with the identification / creation and implementation of quality-related software to analyze and report data.
· Participate on the Global Suominen Quality Team.
New Product Commercialization – Provide leadership to the product commercialization process.
· Lead / support product commercialization projects on assigned equipment and / or for assigned product lines. Projects may include support of complete new product opportunities or improvements on existing products.
· Technical Support – Provide technical expertise on process and product capabilities
· Provide technical and troubleshooting support to product lines, customers, and suppliers as needed.
· Prepare and participate in formal Customer Supplier Reviews.
· Act as a qualified trainer in area of expertise and provide training as needed.
· Provide guidance and assistance to other Quality Department staff as needed.
· Lead, train and develop assigned staff.
· Prepare and conduct performance reviews.
· Regularly identify process improvements and implement changes as needed.
· Implement goals and objectives for functional area.
· Regularly evaluate and report on progress.
· Strong oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills (including presentation)
· Organization skills
· Negotiation skills
· Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
· Flexible / adaptable
· Willing / able to be hands-on
· Problem-solving aptitude – i.e., analytical / problem-solving skills: able to methodically reason and resolve internal and external technical problems and make decisions regarding quality engineering, process control and product commercialization issues.
· Statistics and statistical process control training desirable
· Mechanical aptitude to quickly gain understanding of internal and customer equipment and assist in the diagnosis of various production issues (primarily on a customer’s equipment)
· Experience with QAKE and ISO standards are desirable
· Must be able to work in 24/7 manufacturing environment, walk excessively at times, ability to lift-up to 50 pounds
· Drive for results
· Professional demeanor
· Commitment to excellence
· Integrity and honesty
Resumes should be emailed to: Karlahammond@sbcglobal.net; 860-267-2690