My client, in Hartford County, Connecticut, is looking to hire a Prepress Manager who will be responsible for: 1) assembling graphics and text to create the required components to allow customer artwork to be printed through sheet fed offset presses in a folding carton format; 2) proofing, imposing files for production, creating plates; assembling, verifying and organizing plate jackets; producing color standard folders; and collecting any other resources required by Production. All duties must be followed in accordance with customer requirements and in keeping with the Company’s quality, safety and performance standards.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review incoming art files for usability and printability in accordance with the Company’s guidelines and specifications. Make recommendations for print specifications in adherence with customer requirements, departmental procedures, and the Company’s cost and quality objectives.
- Use design software and design skills to create or revise required graphics and text components for proofing and plating. Follow customer specifications as communicated by customer service, sales, or customers themselves to produce correct artwork in accordance with folding carton production.
- Proof and review completed work for 100% accuracy of color, typesetting, grammar, barcode scan ability, design, etc. per customer specifications; work with estimating and planning, customer service or sales regarding any graphic questions or concerns.
- Ensure projects are completed in a timely manner and in keeping with the Company’s cost and quality objectives.
- Prepare offset plates or digital layouts, in accordance with departmental procedures and quality standard, Plate making for this position is back up only. Full time plate maker is in place.
- Inspect offset plates for adherence to quality standards and maintain required documentation for plate specifications in accordance with departmental procedures.
- Review and assemble necessary elements for Production in accordance with departmental procedures including creating plate jackets and color standard folders and maintaining their filing systems.
- Verify plates and digital layouts to be complete and correct against job paperwork prior to release from the department.
- Communicate with Customer Service and Scheduling to prioritize jobs to meet customer expectations, deadlines and scheduling requirements.
- Perform maintenance to ensure equipment is in proper operating condition in accordance with departmental procedures.
- Communicate with Plant Manager regarding any issues with equipment and/or supply requirements.
- Maintain the work area and equipment in a clean and orderly condition in accordance with quality and safety standards.
- Complete and maintain all required paperwork and documentation.
- Work as part of team in supporting the Company’s total quality efforts. by supporting continuous, on-going process improvement, methods, and productivity.
- Attend training classes and keep current with the latest technology and software tools.
- Comply with all certification requirements.
- Regularly review workload and assist with workload balancing as time allows.
- Other duties, including special projects, as assigned.
- 1 to 2 individuals depending on work load.
Requirements: Education and Experience:
To perform this job successfully, this individual must be able to execute each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. The candidate must be detail oriented, highly organized with the ability to multi-task.
· Candidate will have a High School diploma or equivalent and 5+ years prepress experience and/or prior experience in the printing industry (folding carton preferred).
· Able to pay strong attention to detail, excellent proof-reading skills, good organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and provide follow through on customers’ orders and requirements.
· Able to meet deadlines and work in a fast-paced, quick turn-around environment.
· Good verbal and written communication skills with the ability to follow oral and written instructions.
· Excellent computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office and applicable Graphics software, including Adobe Acrobat, Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, applicable Plate Merging and Exposing software and show an enthusiasm for learning new technology.
· Familiarity with standard concepts, practices and procedures; relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
· Must have comprehensive printing and color management. Folding carton experience a major plus.
- Must have excellent knowledge of imposition and creating stepped layouts.
- Must have advanced training in Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop.
- Must be accurate with excellent attention to detail and quality oriented for finished product.
- A professional approach to time, costs and deadlines.
- Strong analysis, problem solving skills.
- Clear thinking, flexibility in working relationships and decision making, ability to set individual priorities, be self-directed, and work in a team environment.
- Proven ability to work with staff of varying skill levels (executive, business stakeholders, technical, non-technical and end users).
- Willing to attend required training courses or sessions related to the job as assigned.
- Regularly required to sit, stand, reach, bend and move about the facility including office and production areas; may be required to lift up to 20 pounds.
- Pass a pre-employment physical.