Internet/Catalog Retailer Needs Procurement Specialist
My client, an Internet and catalog retailer in Fairfield, County is looking to hire a Procurement Specialist who will manage the sourcing process for specific categories of new proprietary products, collaborate with product Development, Safety & Compliance, Design Engineering, and other stakeholders to define new product specifications. Research potential sources of supply and engage suppliers in the quoting process. Complete Project Management on new product introductions beginning with handover from product Development through to ultimate introduction to market.
• Receive new product requirements from Product Development and collaborate to finalize specifications, insure accuracy of drawings, define intended use, and appropriately categorize product. Consult with various internal resources including developers, compliance/safety official, quality control, and merchants to establish a complete product profile prior to sourcing process.
• Research, evaluate and recommend potential sources of supply based on manufacturing process, vendor capabilities, access to raw materials, ideal lot sizes, complexity of product design, past vendor performance, vendor expertise, lead time constraints, domestic vs. foreign advantages, etc.
• Select most appropriate sources of supply and manage the complete RFQ process, including managing collaborations between Product Development and vendors throughout the quoting process to ensure accurate, complete and reliable vendor proposals.
• Develop and maintain a detailed project schedule for each new product, accounting for targeted product introduction dates; control the RFQ process to secure vendor proposals in a timely fashion.
• Manage the process of sampling from potential vendors; coordinate internal sample evaluation, maintaining control of multiple sample iterations to best achieve final, approved samples that reflect the ultimate basis for production.
• Develop and maintain a process for tracking vendor samples, and respective quality checklists. Collaborate with internal resources to approve product functions, aesthetics, and all other aspects of product samples prior to production.
• Evaluate vendor responses to RFQs to insure accurate and concise project proposals; present complete vendor proposals and comparisons thereof to Product Development, Merchandising and Management teams; recommend viable source(s) of supply based on in depth understanding of the product, the manufacturing processes, vendor capabilities, availability of raw materials, transportation and import costs where applicable, and general ability for supply source to best meet all product needs.
• Coordinate internal team members to provide peripheral components of the final product development process such as final artwork, instruction sheets, specific packing requirements; insure approved vendor samples include compliance to vendor compliance guidelines, packaging, labeling, compliance to product safety testing.
• Closely monitor and manage vendor performance and progress during initial new product POs; engage Purchasing expertise to negotiate final prices, terms and conditions with recommended vendor; collaborate with Purchasing to track progress, and maintain control of target dates. Manage the information flow of each new product project to stakeholders and Management.
• Travel to/remote conference with/maintain frequent communications with manufacturers as necessary (domestic and foreign) to evaluate capabilities, resources, expertise, equipment, material supply, storage capabilities, and ultimately develop solid and strong partnerships in the supply chain.
• Manage and expedite problem resolution during the sourcing process of new products, including changes in design, changes in materials, compliance and safety issues, sub-par quality, possible alternate sources of supply, to minting on time introduction of quality products.
• Negotiate best possible prices, terms and conditions on behalf of Company; act as reputable, diligent, and competent liaison between vendors and the Company; in all aspects, act in the Company’s best interest while maintaining strong vendor partnerships to foster a reliable and flexible supply chain; work to minimize risk exposure.
• Manage special projects relevant to new products, as requested by management
• Lead and coordinate rapid responses to potential product complaints reported by Customer Service, consumers, Product Development, Sales, Merchandisers, or others, to ensure any potential product problem is investigated and resolved; participate on quality control team as necessary to resolve product problems including latent defects; engage suppliers appropriately including all aspects of rework, repair, remedy, replacement, chargebacks to vendors, etc.
• May be required to take on supervisory responsibilities
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Strong project management or product sourcing experience; knowledge of standard procurement practices, including sourcing research, purchasing principles, negotiations practices. Strong ability to coordinate cross-functional resources. Knowledge of Microsoft Office is required. Excellent communication (both verbal and written), organizational, and time management skills are essential. Extremely detailed oriented, takes initiatives and has a sense of urgency. Far East experience helpful.
Resumes should be emailed to Karla Hammond – email@example.com; PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR SALARY REQUIREMENTS.