Director of Manufacturing Needed
Are you a seasoned manufacturing leader with customers in Medical Device, Defense/Firearms, Automotive or Aerospace?
Have you worked for a contract metals’ manufacturer involved in stamping, machining, tooling and assembly – where you implemented programs to drive profitability?
Have you been successful in hiring, managing and developing staff – recognizing their achievements, as well as holding them accountable and gaining their trust and confidence?
Do you have a high emotional quotient – whereby you value people as much as processes?
If so, . . . My client, Okay Industries, a world class global manufacturer of precision engineered metal components and assemblies, is looking to hire a Director of Manufacturing. As a member of senior management, reporting to the President, you will lead and manage all facets of Manufacturing, including Metal Stamping, CNC Machining/Laser processing and Facilities for both New Britain and Berlin, CT locations. The Production Manager in Costa Rica also has a dotted line into this position.
The right person will become a trusted and respected leader; achieve the Manufacturing performance goals on the OKAY Report Card (OTD, Quality, Safety, Efficiency, et al), and meet or exceed assigned objectives related to OKAY strategy; as well as work with the NPD teams to successfully execute production ramp-ups on new programs.
In this position, you will be expected to:
· Lead by example and live the OKAY Vision, Mission, Values and Strategy
· Make your team members and others better.
· Drive for results and customer satisfaction (Reference OKAY Report Card).
· Take the initiative with the transition of all NPD programs launching in production.
· Understand, develop and lead manufacturing strategy for OKAY – and Drive manufacturing results.
· Deliver Total Customer Satisfaction, both internal and external.
· Monitor financial performance by measuring and analyzing results/variances (productivity, quality, customer service); initiating corrective actions and minimizing the impact of variances.
Qualifications and Requirements
· Proven track record of leading a highly diverse manufacturing organization (with focus on metal components and assembly, and preferably serving medical device OEMs).
· Strong leadership skills – able to energize, motivate and inspire others with “healthy” performance tensions. Able and willing to hold self and employees accountable. Gets people working in teams; celebrates their successes. Makes people better.
· High level of technical competence (i.e., tooling, stamping, machining, assembly. Laser welding/cutting experience desirable) to support business strategy.
· Past and present commitment to continuous improvement and cost reductions.
· Strong scheduling skills to ensure customer requirements are achieved. Ensure appropriate people are working on appropriate jobs.
· Outstanding communication (oral and written) and presentation skills.
· Excellent analytical, reasoning and problem-solving skills.
· Follows and promotes principles of “right things right”. Focused on Safety.
· Unyielding quality focus. Working knowledge of ISO 9002 / QS 9000 (ISO 13495 preferable).
· Experience with ERP/MRP systems preferred
· Integrity and Ethical Standards: A strong will which ensures that one is always doing the right thing by upholding ethical and professional standards; is honest in all transactions with the company and the stakeholders.
· Leadership, which includes decision-making, emotional intelligence, self-awareness, motivation, inspiration, empathy; able to get buy-in from all key stakeholders.
· Customer Focused: Always finds ways to help customers solve their problems by understanding their needs and challenges.
· Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills: Communicates and manages well at all organizational levels.
· Manages by walking around: Leads by doing/example; possesses strong coaching/ mentoring and conflict management skills.
· Self-starter and tenacious: Strongly believes that working with others (departments/ shifts/etc.) will accomplish what is necessary for customer commitments.
· Results-Oriented Nature: Able to achieve goals that are specific and measurable. Possesses a strong sense of urgency, drive and passion.
· High energy, enthusiastic and projects a positive outlook.
· Skilled at prioritizing and can effectively multi-task.
· Big picture/strategic thinker: Visionary who can also be hands-on; knows the details needed to implement company business plans that also align with the “big picture.”
· Not afraid of challenges and skilled at delivering results.
· Calm in stressful situations, level headed; has a sense of humor.
· Executive presence and professional demeanor.
Expectation after 6-12 months:
· Respected and trusted member of the team, internally and externally, based on intelligence, initiative, personality, actions and results.
· Thoroughly understands the business, the culture of OKAY and its people, and what makes OKAY “tick”.
· Has a firm grasp of the OKAY Report Card metrics; knows why the numbers are what they are. Has a strategy in place to address/improve all manufacturing metrics working with others to improve results:
o On-Time Delivery
o Labor, machine and process efficiencies (with preventative maintenance)
o Timeliness and effectiveness of corrective actions
o Customer Service / Responsiveness
o Overhead, Labor costs
· Takes ownership of all new NPD programs transitioning into production. Outcome is to have new programs at “Run-at-Rate” within 4 months of go-live date.
· Direct reports are successful, inspired, accountable and are executing the strategy.
Resumes should be emailed to: Karla Hammond at Karlahammond@sbcglobal; 860-267-2690